Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Beef and Orange Stir-Fry

I love beef.  I love oranges.  And I love them together.

This is one of my favorite stir-fry meals because it goes together quick and it doesn't require a lot of crazy ingredients.  And while the recipe calls for boneless sirloin, I've made it with other cuts of beef, too.

Beef and Orange Stir-Fry
  • 3 oranges
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1.5 lbs. trimmed boneless sirloin, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 6 green onions, sliced fairly thin
  • Cooked rice, for serving
Grate the zest and squeeze the juice from one orange.  Combine with garlic and soy sauce and set aside.  Peel and segment the remaining two oranges (removing seeds if necessary).  Set these aside, too. 

Toss meat and cornstarch until coasted.  Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok and cook beef until brown on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes.  (You may have to work in batches.)  Transfer the beef to a plate.

Pour the juice mixture into the skillet and boil until thickened, about 1 minute.  Return beef to skillet.  Add oranges and green onions.  Toss mixture until coated and heated through.  Serve with rice.

1 comment: